Hormones control our body functions and play a vital role in controlling emotion, appetite, growth, energy level and metabolism. Some hormones directly influence the fat deposit and degradation.
Hormonal imbalance occurs when the body fails to produce enough or over production of hormone. When that happens, no amount of diet and exercise will result in weight loss. So, it is important to balance the hormone first in a weight loss program.
The key hormones involved are:
Estrogen – this is a female hormone that is important for the ferminity of the female body.
Testosterone – this is the male hormone that contributes to our personality such as assertiveness and motivation. It turns fat into muscle and works with estrogen to keep the skin supple.
Progesterone – this calms the body, helps the body to burn fat and is necessary for building of bones and prevent arterial plaque. Low progesterone level will lead to weight gain, bloating and discomfort in the digestive system.
What cause hormonal imbalance?
- Metabolic disorder – metabolic rate is faster or slower.
- Inadequate nutrition – lack of nutrients to support in the production of hormones.
- Stress – environment or social factors that disturb normal the hormonal production.
- Birth control pills – disturb the normal hormonal production.
- Advancing in age – reduction in the production of hormones as we age.
What are the symptoms of hormonal imbalance?
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Dry skin
- Sudden weight gain
How can we re-balance the hormone?
The following lifestyle change is necessary to re-balance the hormone in the body:
Start with a healthy diet that is plenty of fruits and vegetables that will provide the antioxidants to support the liver health because the liver is where excess hormones are destroyed. Eat from wide variety and color.
Adequate intake of omega-3 helps to keep the body cell receptor site in the optimal condition for the attachment of hormone molecules. Nuts, seeds and oily fish are good source of omega-3 fatty acid.
3) Reduce processed food and trans fat
Iodine, selenium and zinc are important minerals for hormonal production. Deficiency in these minerals lead to hormonal imbalance.
The following herbs are found to aid in hormonal balance:
- Siberian ginseng – helps the body to handle stress and regulate the hormone production.
- Damiana – balance menstrual irregularities, cramps and bleeding .
- Sarsaparilla root – it is a natural source of progesterone and testosterone as well as stimulate the action of estrogen.
- Gotu-Kola leaf – stimulate the pituitary gland and thyroid gland.
- Saw Palmetto fruit – reduce the activity of estrogen and testosterone,
- Licorice – reduce the synthesis of testosterone and increase the action of cortisol.
- Fo-Ti (Knotweed) root – support healthy adrenal function, thyroid imbalance and increase estrogenic activity better than Ashwagandha, Dong Quai and Chaste Tree berry.
- Suma – this is a Brazillian ginseng that helps the body to handle stress.
- Nettle leaf – good source of vitamin A, C, D, K, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, iron and sulphur.
Achieving a hormonal balance takes time, as they are complex pathways and mechanism. So, you need to be patient and employ the above ways to re-balance the hormone first before your diet and exercise program for weight loss can be effective.
If you need help to achieve an effective weight loss, contact me and I can show you how.
If like this post, you can receive more by filling in the form at the right side and you will get regular tips and information coming your way.