Weight gain is insidious and often happens without you realizing it. It sneaks up on you and you start buying bigger clothes to be comfortable. All you need is extra 10 calories a day and you can gain a pound in a year. It is easy to put on a few pounds and keep gaining more.
We tend to gain weight as we age because we become less active, the body metabolism slow down and we lose lean muscle mass. If we do not change the way we eat, we will be eating extra calories that we do not need and they are stored as fat.
Weight gain leads to a variety of health problems:
The solution is simple: eat less and move more. It is simple but not easy. Changing the way you eat is an unrealistic goal unless everyone in the household makes a commitment to do so.
What is a healthy lifestyle?
1) Eat a diet of protein from plant source such as lentil, soya bean rather than animal protein
2) Adopt healthier cooking methods such as boiling, roasting rather than frying
3) Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. 7 portions of fruits and vegetables is recommended by World Health Organization.
4) Cold-water fish such as salmon, mackerel and tuna are high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are good fat that helps to lose weight.
6) Stop or refrain from smoking and minimize processed foods.
The problem with healthy diets is that most of us think of them as punitive. We have it in our heads that we are being deprived. You need think of it as making a lifestyle change that will stay with you the rest of your lives.
The good news is that weight loss and changes in lifestyle can not only improve diabetes, it also lowers cholesterol, blood pressure and reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke. Moreover, it improves your physique; you look better, feel more alert and energetic.
To make lasting changes, you may need someone to coach and guide you on how to begin in such as way that will be safe. If you have been sedentary and gained weight, you shouldn’t start on a vigorous exercise program without consulting with your doctor first.
If like this post, you can receive more by filling in the form at the right side and you will get more tips and information coming your way.