What is Syndrome X?
It is also known as Metabolic Syndrome, Insulin Resistance Syndrome. It is a cluster of various symptoms together:
- Waist circumference – 40 inches (102cm) for men and 35 inches (88cm) for women
- Triglyceride – greater than 150 mmg/L(1.7mmol/L)
- HDL – less than 40 mg/dL (1.04 mmol/L) for men and less than 50 mg/dL(1.29 mmol/L) for women
- Triglyceride: HDL ratio – greater than 2
- High blood pressure – greater than 135/85 mmg Hg
- Fasting blood glucose – greater than 110 mg/dL (6.1 mmole/L)
Syndrome X is really a chemical imbalance due to disturbance in insulin metabolism leading the increase fat storage rather than fat burning. Syndrome X will eventually lead to Type 2 diabetes
What cause Syndrome X?
Over consumption of refined carbohydrates and hydrogenated vegetable oil that lead to surge in blood sugar triggering excessive production of insulin. The excessive insulin level in the blood leads to body cells developing insulin resistance and limit uptake blood sugar. This in turn force the body to product even more insulin in the attempt to regulate blood sugar level.
This insulin resistance can go on for years before it is detected. In the meantime, the presence of high level of insulin in the blood causes the body to store fat rather than burn fat to give energy. The fat gained is normally stored around the abdominal area and around the liver and other organs.
As the body could not burn fat to provide energy, excessive hunger and craving for carbohydrate and sugary food develop instead. The vicious cycle ensues. That is the reason why it is impossible to lose weight.
What are the consequences of Syndrome X?
- Fat accumulation in the liver causing inflammation and eventual hardening ( cirrhosis)
- Kidney damage with leaking protein into the urine
- Sleep apnea
- Polycystic ovary syndrome – development of multiple cysts in the ovary
- Cardiovascular disease
How do you treat Syndrome X?
Cut all refine carbohydrates and replace with complex carbohydrate from fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Eat a high protein diet from nuts, seeds, legumes and white meat, especially from cold-water fish, which is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. Follow MyPlate as a guide on the correct portion size.
Moderate exercise everyday such as brisk walking for 30 minutes daily has tremendous benefits. Exercises significantly increase the sensitivity of insulin in the body that helps with fat burning.
Several studies have shown that sufficient level of antioxidants in the body can improve insulin resistance. The following are key supplements for Syndrome X:
- Chromium – improve insulin resistance and help the transfer of blood sugar into the body cells.
- Vitamin E – strong antioxidants to fight oxidative stress in the blood and reduce blood sugar level.
- Magnesium – people with type 2 diabetes have been known to have low-level of Magnesium
- Biotin – helps the body cells metabolic process
As you can see that just by treating the insulin resistance and you will be able get the body to burn fat and lose weight. You can also reduce the risk of developing all the health issues from Syndrome X.
If like this post, you can receive more by filling in the form at the right side and you will get more tips and information coming your way.